The Historic New Orleans Collection is now accepting applications
for 2018 CIS Summer Fellowships
Schedule: Fellowships take place June 28 – August 5, 2018. After several days of orientation at THNOC, fellows will travel to survey sites with the CIS Coordinator/Research Curator. Fieldwork usually takes place 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday, although some weekend or evening work may be necessary depending on site availability. Applicants must be able to travel and work in the field for extended periods of time, and be flexible and responsive to evolving work conditions and climates.
Benefits: $2,000 stipend paid upon completion of fellowship; plus housing, on-site transportation, and reimbursement for travel expenses to and from New Orleans. Fellows also receive a scholarship to THNOC’s New Orleans Antiques Forum, which concludes field survey activities.
Qualifications: Fellowships are open to current students and recent alumni of graduate programs relating to the study of American decorative arts, art history, or material culture. Applicants should have:
- knowledge of pre-1860 American decorative arts and best practices of artifact care and handling.
- enthusiasm for exploring new historic sites and discussing local history with the public.
- exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- ability to collaborate with teammates as well as work well independently.
- ability to develop relationships and to provide excellent customer service to donors, owners, collectors, the public and representatives from other cultural organizations.
- exceptional attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- valid driver’s license preferred.
Application deadline is February 22, 2018
To apply: Submit a current CV, contact information for two references, and a cover letter explaining your interest in CIS efforts and how prior experience has prepared you for field work. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.